Monday 9 April 2012

Interview with Don Gutteridge












Vital Secrets is the third novel in Don Gutteridge’s historical mystery series. His first novel was Turncoat followed by Solemn Vows. Mr. Gutteridge kindly accepted my invitation for an interview for his readers to learn a little bit more about this talented author.

1. Who is the first person who gets to read your manuscript?

My son and daughter read the manuscript and they are my biggest fans.

2. How do you choose your characters' names?

My characters names come from the primary historical materials I research and from my imagination.

3. What do you have in your writer's drawer?

Pen and paper in my drawer. I hand-write every novel and then put it on the computer.

4. Where is your favourite place to write?

I write in my study.

5. Do you listen to music when you write?

I don’t listen to music when I write. I need silence to hear the words in my head.

6. With an obvious interest in Canadian history, why did you choose this particular time period?

I have always been fascinated by the rebellion period with its fair share of political intrigue.

7. What was the inspiration for the Marc Edwards mysteries?

I was inspired to write the Marc Edwards mysteries by my lifelong love of histoircal mysteries.

8. Do you keep a chart or list of all the things about Marc Edwards or any of the other characters?

I keep brief charts of my characters and their traits.

9. Are there other characters you plan to carry over in future novels of the Marc Edwards mysteries?

I plan to introduce other historical figures into later novels, like Robert Baldwin and Louis Lafontaine.

10. How and why did you become a writer?
I started writing storeis in grade five, then poetry and never stopped.

11. What authors do you read?

I read quality Canadian fiction and numerous British, Canadian and American mysteries.

12. Have you written other genres besides historical fiction?

I have written and published eight literary novels and sixteen books of poetry, in addition to nine books in education.

Mr. Gutteridge, I wish you well with your upcoming books in this series. The next novel should prove to be as excellent as the others.

Link to

Turncoat

2 comments:

Reader Wil said...

Thanks, Barbara, for the interview with this author. This way we learn about new writers. He is in my country more or less unknown. Foreign authors need some time to be read in the Netherlands.
Have a great week and thanks for your visit.

Rune Eide said...

Very interesting - the novels might even interest one who mostly reads popular science :-)